Latest News

19-year-old woman dies after swallowing several pieces of sugar free chewing gum

By Mason White 2:57 PM May 11, 2015
Samantha Jenkins 

By: Feng Qian
A young woman as dead after her stomach became filled with chewing gum, a court in the United Kingdom heard.

19-year-old Samantha Jenkins of Welsh, may have been killed by consuming up to 14 sticks of gum per day.

Jenkins died in the arms of her mother a day after entering the hospital.

She became ill after her body could not absorb enough vital minerals through her stomach, where large pieces of gum were found.

Her mother, 45-year-old Mary Morgan, believes that her daughter died of aspartame or Sorbitol poisoning, two ingredients found in sugar free gum.

Jenkins had complained of being sick on numerous occasions in the year leading up to her death. An autopsy revealed that Jenkins’s stomach contained several large pieces of gum.

A pathologist told the court that Jenkins had low levels of calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium, which may have been the result of poor absorption caused by the pieces of gum found in her stomach.