Latest News

2 pet tortoises burn down their owners’ home while being left alone

By Mason White 9:59 AM May 15, 2015
Firefighter saving two pet tortoises 

By: Tanya Malhotra
The proud owners of two pet tortoises are devastated after they tipped over a heat lamp, which caused their expensive home to go up in flames, firefighters in the United Kingdom said.

Dinky and Toby set fire to the house while their owners were outside of the home, leaving them behind alone.

The two pets were rescued by firefighters, who were wearing breathing masks for protection from the smoke. The incident unfolded in the house in Fordingbridge, Hants.

The unidentified owners of the animals said that they have Toby for 65 years and Dinky for the past 25 years. The homeowners are struggling to convince their insurance company that the fire was actually started by their pets.

The cost to fix and repair the damaged home is estimated to be very high. Firefighters came back the following day to see if the tortoises were doing well.