Latest News

Young man dies in his sleep after being bitten by poisonous snake because he could not afford going to a hospital

By Mason White 11:51 AM May 29, 2015
Snake illustration 

By: Feng Qian
(Scroll down for video) A young man who refused to seek medical attention after being bitten by a snake, died in his sleep, doctors in Missouri said.

37-year-old Gilbert Deleon was walking in the James River, when he was bitten twice.

He refused to seek medical attention because he could not afford it. Before going to sleep, he cut open the bite wounds and squeezed out the venom.

Later that night, his girlfriend began to notice symptoms.

During the night, he was having difficulty breathing, but he still refused to see a doctor or seek medical attention. Later, Deleon died in his sleep.

Doctors are not sure what kind of snake bit the victim, but they think it may have been a cottonmouth. Health officials urged people bitten by snakes to immediately go to the nearest hospital.