Woman loses her eyesight after being licked by her pet catBy Mason White 3:53 PM June 1, 2015
By: Chan Yuan
(Scroll down for video) A woman will never be able to see with her left eye after being licked by her pet cat, doctors in Ohio said.
Janese Walters of Toledo, said that it took doctors over a month to figure out why she couldn’t see with her left eye.
At first, Walters thought she had a pink eye, but doctors thought it was something else.
After a month, they discovered that she suffered from a disease called cat scratch, caused by a bacteria carried by 40 percent of cats.
The bacteria lives in the cat’s saliva and skin. The bacteria does not harm cats, but can be harmful to humans. Cat-scratch disease can expand blood vessels, affecting the eyes.
It can also cause liver problems and cause meningitis by getting into the spinal fluid. Cat owners should wash their hands after handling their pets.
Cat owners should not let their pets bite or lick their open wounds. Walters said that she never heard about cat-scratch disease.
She feels lucky that the disease did not spread to her right eye.