Latest News

Man dies after cafe served him glass of liquid soap instead of white wine

By Mason White 11:02 AM June 17, 2015
White wine illustration 

By: Tanya Malhotra
A man died after drinking what he believed to be white wine at a cafe, police in Spain said.

Castello Police said that 50-year-old Andres Lorente, was served dishwashing detergent instead of white wine before he died.

Lorente suffered severe burns to the trachea, throat and stomach. The incident unfolded on Sunday afternoon. According to the police investigation, Lorente ordered a glass of white wine.

The waiter went to a refrigerator and took out a bottle of white wine that contained soap. The error occurred because someone poured the soap into the empty wine bottle and placed it in the refrigerator.

The soap was colorless and odorless so neither the waiter nor Lorente realized that it really wasn’t white wine. The victim, a divorced father of two children, was taken by ambulance to a hospital as his condition worsened.

Police said that they have arrested the owner of the cafe on charges of manslaughter, and the shop was shut down.