Latest News

Girl rushed to hospital after eating banana infected with red fungus

By Mason White 10:10 AM July 17, 2015
Banana with red fungus 

By: Chan Yuan
A little girl in the United Kingdom, was rushed to a hospital after eating a banana that was infected with a red fungus, doctors who treated the child said.

Doctors are warning consumers to check their bananas before consuming them as the 8-year-old girl had to be hospitalized after eating the banana with the fungus.

Lissa Melin said that she bought a bunch of bananas at Morrisons, at the end of last week.

On Monday, her eight-year-old daughter bit into one banana that had a suspicious looking red growth inside, which was later identified as Nigrospora.

When the girl began feeling ill, Melin took her to the emergency room to be treated. The girl will not suffer any long term health issues as a result of eating the red fungus, doctors said.

The fungus cannot cause any major illnesses, but can cause psychosis. Morrisons apologized to the Melin, saying that the product did not meet their strict quality standards.