Doctors cut off woman’s breasts after being bitten by flyBy Mason White 1:27 PM August 25, 2015
|Black fly illustration|
By: Tanya Malhotra
A woman lost both her breasts after being bitten by a typical fly, which caused her to suffer from a flesh eating bacteria, doctors in Canada said.
Doctors in Ontario, were quick to point out that it was not the fly that caused the woman’s infection.
The skin of the affected location was probably scratched and the protective layer came off, a spokesperson for the District Health Unit said.
Deborah Charette of Astorville, said that the incident began when she was bitten on her breast by a black fly. The next thing she remembers is waking up in the hospital.
Charette contracted a flesh eating bacteria also known as necrotizing fasciitis. Charette’s husband was told that if her breasts are not cut off, she could die within 24 hours.
Charette had a mastectomy, and the procedure saved her life.
Doctors who treated Charette, said that the condition is uncommon.
Charette said that she decided to share her story because she wants people to know that anyone can contract a flesh eating bacteria.