Latest News

Elderly man dies after eating toxic soup poisoned with zucchini

By Mason White 10:17 AM August 27, 2015
Zucchini illustration 

By: Tanya Malhotra
An elderly man died after enjoying a plate of hot soup that contained toxins from poisonous zucchini, doctors in Germany said.

79-year-old Ludwig A. of Heidelberg, died at a hospital two weeks after eating zucchini soup that was contaminated with poison.

The zucchini was homegrown, and was given to Ludwig and his wife Inge by neighbors. According to the police investigation, the neighbors were unaware that the zucchini contained toxins.

Inge said that when she tasted the soup it was very bitter.

Shortly after eating the food, the couple began feeling ill. Inge, 80, suffered from diarrhea and vomiting. For her husband, things were even worse.

Ludwig’s face turned yellow. The husband and wife were taken to a hospital, where they were diagnosed with severe poisoning.

Inge gradually recovered, and she was discharged from the hospital after a few days. However, her husband had eaten a lot of poison and he died.

Doctors identified the chemical that killed Ludwig as cucurbitacins. These naturally occurring toxins are occasionally found in pumpkins and squash, such as zucchini.