Latest News

Mother dies from carbon monoxide poisoning on first night in dream home

By Mason White 10:34 AM October 16, 2015
Kimberley Jones 

By: Mahesh Sarin
A young mother of the United Kingdom, died on the first she slept in her dream home.

25-year-old Kimberley Jones died during her first night in her new home after being overcome by carbon monoxide from a faulty fireplace, according to court documents.

Jones suffocated while sleeping in a makeshift bed in the living room of her new home in Cwmbach, South Wales. Jones went to the home before the actual move-in date in order to decorate the home.

Her father, Andrew Jones, said that he told his daughter to leave the windows of the living room open to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. “That will haunt me for the rest of my days,” he told the court.

The father said that the former homeowner, Linda Parfaitt, who was a family friend, insisted that the fireplace was serviced every 12 to 18 months.

She also allegedly told the family that there was a specifically designed component to protect against the deadly gas leak and it had been cleaned just two months before the house changed hands.

However, according to an expert who testified in court, the fireplace had not been cleaned for more than 4 years.

Jones,was in the process of building a nursery for her 6-month-old son who was with her parents at the time of the incident.

The victim’s mother went over to the home in the morning and found that her daughter was no longer alive.

Parfaitt denied neglecting to maintain the fireplace. She said the last time they had swept the chimney was 15 months before Kimberley Jones died.

She said that she was unaware of the manufacturer’s guidelines that chimneys must be swept twice a year to ensure the safe maintenance of the device.

Kimberley Jones’ parents, Helen and Andrew, wanted Parfitt to be found guilty of unlawful killing through gross negligent manslaughter.

However, the court rejected their request and said that “Miss Parfitt was not so grossly negligent for her to be liable for manslaughter or of accidental death.”

The court believes that Kimberley Jones also had some responsibility to service the fireplace before moving into her newly purchased home.