New York EMT fired for helping choking 7-year-old girl without being told to do soBy Mason White 6:23 PM October 29, 2015
By: Chan Yuan
(Scroll down for video) An emergency medical technician (EMT) was suspended without pay after he stopped to help a young girl who was choking while he was on duty.
7-year-old Noelia Echavarria was at school when she began choking on her lunch.
Everyone began to panic, but no one at the school came to the girl’s aid, her mother Ana Iris Santiago said.
The first-grader choked on a sandwich at PS 250 in Williamsburg. Qwasi Reid, who worked for a private EMT company, was flagged down by a school worker for help.
Reid, who was transporting a nursing home patient, stopped and tried to help Noelia, while his coworker stayed with the patient in the ambulance.
When another ambulance arrived, the girl was transported to the NYU Langone Medical Center, where she is in critical condition.
However, rather than thanking Reid for helping the child, he was suspended because it is against company policy to make a stop without being called.