Latest News

Subway employee nearly dies after getting locked in fridge for 8 hours dressed only in leggings

By Mason White 3:09 PM November 3, 2015
Karlee Daubeney 

By: Mahesh Sarin
A Subway restaurant was charged with breaching workplace health and safety laws after an employee nearly died by getting locked inside a fridge for 8 hours, according to court documents in the United Kingdom.

20-year-old Karlee Daubeney of Gloucester, suffered near hypothermia after getting locked in the restaurant refrigerator overnight.

Daubeney revealed that she used ketchup to write the word “help” on pieces of cardboard and pushed them out of the fridge in order for someone to realize that she was locked inside.

Daubeney was not released from the fridge until 7:30 a.m. the next morning. Daubeney said that after a few hours, she was very cold and had no energy to bang on the door.

She was dressed in leggings and a Subway t-shirt. Her muscles became so cold it was very difficult for her to walk for a few days.

She suffered migraine headaches and dry the skin around her nose. Daubeney still suffers from anxiety over the incident, and gets nervous if a door to a room closes behind her.

The store was charged with violating health and safety laws by failing to ensure the safety and welfare of its employees. The store pleaded not guilty the charge.

After a trial, the store was found guilty, and they were sentenced to pay a fine of 6,000 pounds ($9,240).