Latest News

Two-year-old girl and three-month-old boy die after parents left them home alone while partying

By Mason White 10:50 AM January 4, 2016
House on fire (illustration) 

By: Feng Qian
A couple of South Africa, was arrested after their children died while they were out partying.

Firefighters and police were called by neighbors after the house in Mpumalanga, caught on fire.

Firefighters who rushed to the scene, put out the fire, but they were unaware that there were children inside the small home.

After putting out the fire, emergency workers found the two small charred bodies of the two-year-old girl and her three-month-old baby brother.

The bodies were found on a burned mattress. Police began looking for the parents, but they were unable to locate them.

Brigadier Selvy Mohlala said that the parents finally came home at 1:00 a.m., and they were drunk.

The parents, who were identified as David Mashiloane, 45, and 23-year-old Rebecca Mtshweni, were arrested.

They were charged with abuse, deliberate neglect and abandonment of children by parents.

“While they were out having fun, their house caught fire around 8:45 p.m.,” Mohlala said. The parents were away for many hours while their children were home alone.

Following the tragedy, the police warned parents and families to take better care of their children. “Parents are urged not to leave their children locked in their home, unattended,” Mohlala said.