Latest News

Teen dies after inhaling too much deodorant while trying to clean himself

By Mason White 3:30 AM January 12, 2016
Deodorant spray (illustration) 

By: Chan Yuan
A boy died after inhaling too much gas from cans of deodorant while trying to clean himself, a court in the United Kingdom heard.

16-year-old Thomas Townsend of Folkestone, regularly used deodorant sprays to clean himself instead of taking showers and baths.

A spokesperson for the Medical Examiner’s Office told the court that Townsend sprayed deodorant all over himself and succumbed to the effects of the gas.

Lucy Banyard told the court that she found Townsend unresponsive on a porch outside his room around 6:30 p.m.

Paramedics were called, but they could not revive him. Dr. Karim Aboualfa said the cause of death was the collapse of circulation caused by inhaling butane gas.

There was no alcohol or drugs in his system. Police examined the boy’s room and found that he had accumulated a total of 42 cans of deodorant and hairspray.

Townsend also had a history of self-harm by cutting himself, but his death was ruled as accidental.