Latest News

3-year-old girl chokes to death after swallowing toy hidden inside Kinder Surprise chocolate egg

By Mason White 11:27 AM January 21, 2016
Kinder Surprise chocolate egg (illustration) 

By: Feng Qian
A little girl died after choking on a toy that was hidden inside a children’s chocolate egg, police in France said.

Toulouse police said that the 3-year-old girl died after choking on the toy hidden inside a Kinder Surprise chocolate egg.

The girl’s mother told police that she was with her daughter when the child swallowed a small plastic wheel that fell off from the toy hidden inside the egg.

The chocolates eggs are made by Ferrero of Italy.

The girl’s grandfather arrived quickly and was able to extract the toy, but she had fallen into a coma and died on Saturday night.

The autopsy confirmed that the girl died following mechanical asphyxia. A warning label on the Kinder Surprise eggs say that they are not for children under three years old.

Ferrero said that all Kinder Surprise toys are designed and developed with security in mind, rigorously observing international regulations as well as additional safety criteria voluntarily adopted by the company.

In some countries, it is illegal to hide toys inside food due to fears of choking.