Latest News

Babysitter burns 2-year-old boy’s hands because he smeared himself with chocolate syrup

By Mason White 11:40 AM February 12, 2016
Chocolate syrup (illustration) 

By: Chan Yuan
A babysitter was arrested on a charge of assault after allegedly burning the hands of a little boy because he smeared himself with chocolate syrup, police in New York said.

The New York Police Department said that they have arrested 20-year-old Yvette Douglas of Queens, after being accused of holding the 2-year-old boy’s hands under boiling water as punishment for getting his hands dirty.

Douglas was charged with second-degree assault and endangering the welfare of a child. She was booked into jail and her bail was set at $35,000.

If convicted, Douglas faces up to seven years in prison.

According to the police investigation, Faleeza Omar left her 2-year-old son Reyes Cosme, and her 3-year-old daughter at the defendant’s home on 208 Street around 7:00 a.m. on Tuesday.

Around 10:15 a.m. later that day, Omar received a phone call from Douglas that her son had been burned because he pulled a pot of boiling water off of the stove.

The child was transported to the Nassau University Hospital Burn Unit and admitted for severe burns to his hands.

It is alleged that after examining the child, medical personnel concluded that Douglas’s initial account of water spilling on the child was inconsistent with the nature and pattern
of the hand injuries.

In statements made to the police, Douglas stated that Reyes was eating waffles, got syrup on his hands and would not cooperate with her in cleaning his hands.

Becoming frustrated and angry, Douglas held both the child’s hands under water at the kitchen sink to wash them.

As the child continued to cry, Douglas allegedly turned the water faucet from warm to hot, at which point the child continued crying and was struggling to remove his hands from the water.

After holding his hands under the water for approximately two minutes, Douglas observed that the child’s hands had become red and that the skin sagged.

Hospital personnel concluded that the nature and pattern of the child’s burns were consistent with them having been held under hot water for approximately two minutes.