Latest News

Restaurant slapped with lawsuit after man ate undercooked contaminated seafood causing him to die

By Mason White 4:35 AM February 29, 2016
Undercooked seafood (illustration) 

By: Wayne Morin
A restaurant in California, was slapped with a lawsuit after a man died from eating undercooked contaminated food, according to court documents.

Now, the Redd restaurant in Yountville, settled the lawsuit brought by the family of 61-year-old Larry Sacknoff, who died from complications caused by eating undercooked contaminated scallops.

According to the lawsuit, Sacknoff tested positive for pathogen vibrio parahaemolyticus, following a meal at the restaurant.

The Public Health Department managed to track the incident down to the food of the Redd restaurant. Sacknoff spent the next year in and out of hospitals due to complications of the food poisoning before his death.

The seafood provider of the restaurant, Pierless Fish Corp. of Brooklyn, New York, was also named as a defendant in the lawsuit.

Pierless Fish Corp. has since settled with the family.

A major issue in the lawsuit was that Redd did not provide a consumer advisory on the menu on the risks of eating undercooked or raw seafood, which is required by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).