Man chokes to death while participating in chicken wings eating contest at KFCBy Mason White 3:50 AM March 16, 2016
|Chicken wings (illustration)|
By: Chan Yuan
A man who wanted to be the lucky winner of $400,000 took part in a chicken eating contest at KFC, police in Indonesia said.
Jakarta police said that they have launched an investigation, following the death of 45-year-old Fredy Jayadi, who participated in the chicken wings eating contest in an attempt to win $400,000 on Friday.
Jayadi was taking part in the competition, which requires participants to eat three chicken wings as quickly as possible.
The competition was held at a KFC outlet, and he was competing with two other participants. Each participant received three chicken wings and were told to eat them as quickly as possible.
As Jayadi was finishing his third chicken wing, he suddenly choked. Jayadi drank water and was given first aid by the organizer.
He was quickly rushed to a nearby hospital, where he pronounced dead.
Shortly after the incident, police launched an investigation on a charge of negligence, saying that the KFC failed to have medical personnel present during the competition.
So far, no arrests have been made.