Woman suffers massive stroke as a result of washing her hair at salonBy Mason White 4:45 PM March 20, 2016
|Elizabeth Smith and her daughter|
By: Tanya Malhotra
(Scroll down for video) A woman filed a lawsuit against a hair salon after suffering a massive stroke following a shampoo treatment of her hair, according to court documents in California.
48-year-old Elizabeth Smith of San Diego, claims that two weeks after having her hair shampooed at the salon, she suffered a massive stroke due to the way her head was positioned.
In the lawsuit filed against the Blowbunny Salon, Smith said that a week after the shampoo treatment, she felt weakness in his left arm and leg.
A week later, she suffered a big stroke. Doctors told Smith that it was the position of her head in the sink that was probably the underlying cause.
At first, doctors did not believe that Smith would survive, but she managed to recover. She was left to pay $250,000 for medical treatment.
Smith wants to warn the public about the potential danger of tilting backwards into a sink. Experts said that there is a legitimate condition known as beauty parlor stroke syndrome, usually in younger people.
Dr. Peter Gloviczki of the Mayo Clinic, said that the condition is caused when there is an injury, tear or blood clot in one of the four main arteries to the brain.
The main problem is the hyperextension of the neck, the doctor said.