Latest News

4-year-old boy gets his hand stuck in hotel vending machine for 6 hours after trying to get free drink

By Mason White 4:48 AM March 1, 2016
Leo Shorthouse at a vending machine 

By: Chan Yuan
(Scroll down for video) A little boy was horrified after his hand got caught up in a vending machine for about six hours, firefighters in Australia said.

The Melbourne Fire Department said that the 4-year-old boy named Leo Shorthouse, was vacationing with his family at a hotel when he came across the vending machine for the first time.

Around 11:30 a.m., the boy stuck his hand into the vending machine on Lonsdale Street, and tried to get a soda. His hand got caught up in the anti-theft device, and he wasn’t able to move.

The fire department was called and it took rescuers 6 hours to free the boy. The boy was distressed, but uninjured. Shorthouse had to be sedated several times.

Special tools had to be used to break open the vending machine. The operation was conducted very slowly to prevent injury.

After being freed, Leo told firefighters that when he grows up, he will join the fire department.

(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = “//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3”; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));

7 News | Lucky LeoA 4-year-old boy whose arm was stuck inside a vending machine for 6 hours wants to be a fireman, just like those who freed him. www.7news.com.au#7NewsPosted by 7 News Melbourne on Monday, February 29, 2016