Latest News

Baby dies after parents forgot where they put him during drinking binge

By Mason White 10:29 AM April 7, 2016
Matthew Neil, Kim Smart-Neil and the baby  

By: Tanya Malhotra
A four-week-old baby of the United Kingdom, died after his parents went on a 24-hour drinking binge and forgot where they left him.

Baby Freddie Neil of Lancashire, was found wedged between his brother’s bed and a wall. The baby was rushed to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

His parents, Matthew Neil, 34, and Kim Smart-Neil, 32, were arrested and charged with neglect and manslaughter. However, prosecutors now dropped the charges, saying that there was not enough evidence to prosecute.

The couple has since separated and are no longer in a relationship. The court heard that the couple had been drinking with friends until the early hours of the morning.

The mother remembered caring for her baby around 5:00 a.m. Her husband who works as a DJ, stayed up with the baby until around 6:00 a.m., when their friends left.
A court heard that Neil, who was “extremely tired and intoxicated,” thought that he placed Freddie into his crib and he has no idea how the baby got into their other son’s room.

Neil woke up around 12:00 p.m. the following day, and heard their toddler crying. He was found without his diaper and he had pooped on the floor.

When Neil went to check on the baby, he did not find him in the crib. The couple began looking for the child as they did not remember where they left him.

He was found between the bed and the wall of the toddler’s bed.