Latest News

Hungry dog suffers serious burns after jumping onto stove to retrieve piece of leftover meat

By Mason White 1:38 PM April 11, 2016
The hungry dog after being rescued from the burning home 

By: Tanya Malhotra
A hungry pet dog burned down its owner’s house after jumping onto a stove to get a piece of leftover meat while it was home alone, firefighters in Texas said.

The Austin Fire Department said that the dog caused a lot of damage to the structure of the home after starting a fire by climbing onto the stove to retrieve a piece of barbecue meat.

According to the investigation, Bentley, the Labrador retriever, was alone in the house around 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, when it accidentally turned on the stove, causing an out of control fire.

The dog was rescued from the house and resuscitated by firefighters. The fire caused $75,000 in damage to the two-story house and $25,000 in damage to the contents of the home.

Two people were displaced as a result of the fire. The dog was sent to a veterinary hospital, and is said to be in serious condition.