Professional snake catcher dies after being bitten by snakeBy Mason White 9:23 AM April 13, 2016
|Wayne Cameron (left)|
By: Feng Qian
A family is mourning the loss of a man who died on the job.
Wayne Cameron, 54, of Australia, was a professional snake catcher who has rescued many snakes, including venomous.
Cameron was bitten by a coastal taipan during a job for Reptrix Reptiles Wildlife Rescue in Rockhampton, Queensland. He rescued a snake that was hidden inside in a duffle bag.
It initially looked like the snake only grazed his arm and had not broken through the skin.
Cameron and his wife Jenny, who works with him, applied first aid on the bite before going to the Rockhampton hospital.
Despite the efforts of doctors and nurses, Cameron died at the hospital.
Nicole Sloan, a Rockhampton Wildlife Rescue worker, said that the hospital ran a series of tests, which all came back negative. When Cameron was ready to be released from the hospital, nurses removed the bandage from the affected area.
However, when the bandage was removed, Cameron began convulsing and his heart stopped. “He walked into the hospital at 5:30 p.m., and he was gone at 6:20 p.m.,” Sloan said.
“Due to loss of the head catcher, Reptrix Reptiles will not be available for snake catches until further notice. Sorry for the inconvenience,” the company wrote on Facebook.