Latest News

House infested with bugs explodes after residents used too much bug spray

By Mason White 2:33 PM April 18, 2016
House fire (illustration) 

By: Chan Yuan
(Scroll down for video) Two adults and a child were rushed to a hospital after an explosion in a bug infested house, firefighters in New Jersey said.

The Asbury Park Fire Department said that the incident unfolded around 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, after the residents of the house used too much bug spray with the windows shut, causing a toxic build up of chemicals.

Two adults and a child were in the first floor of the house when the explosion occurred. They were taken to a nearby hospital, where they are said to be in good condition.

According to a city investigator, officials have launched an investigation into the state of the apartment complex containing three floors located at 410 Third Avenue.

The building is owned by a company called 410 Third Avenue LLC. The unit was infested with bugs. An occupant had been spraying insecticide in the home when he began to experience a headache and opened a window.

The oxygen from outside, combined with the accumulation of vapors and a pilot light on the stove, created the necessary mixture for combustion fumes.

The damage of the explosion was restricted to the first floor apartment. The windows were blown out, the front door was bent and the kitchen was damaged.