Wedding guest suffers severe burns after helium balloons exploded


Helium balloons (illustration) 
By: Chan Yuan

A wedding guest was rushed to a hospital after helium balloons that he was holding in his hands exploded.

The incident took place before the wedding of Maria R. in Austria, where part of the celebration involved the bride being welcomed loudly by a group of single men.

In preparation, the group of young men filled balloons with helium and tied them to a fence on a lawn, where the wedding was to take place.

The men said that they planned to pop the balloons all at once when the bride arrived.

However, the fun ended in disaster when 18-year-old Andreas W. was burned when two balloons he was holding suddenly exploded.

Andreas was taken to a hospital by air ambulance about 3:20 p.m. The wedding was supposed to begin at 4:00 p.m.

Andreas was taken to a hospital in Salzburg, where he was treated for first and second-degree burns to his upper body and hands.

Andreas missed the wedding, and he remained in the hospital for a day.