Latest News

Woman’s leg crushed in trash compactor after she agreed to go down garbage chute for $20

By Mason White 9:25 AM May 18, 2016
Dumpster (illustration) 

By: Feng Qian
(Scroll down for video) A woman may suffer permanent damage to her leg after it was crushed by a garbage compactor.

The woman of Massachusetts, agreed to retrieve a set of keys that fell into the garbage chute in exchange for $20.

However, she fell three floors into a working trash compactor.

Salem Police Lt. Matthew Desmond said that the 38-year-old woman was compacted by the machine and is lucky to be alive after her leg was severely deformed.

The woman was taken to the Massachusetts General Hospital, where she is said to be in fair condition.

Emergency crews were called to an apartment building on Monday, on a report of a person who had fallen into a trash chute, according to a police report.

Officer Michael Dunn said that he was greeted by a 19-year-old man of Salem, who lives in the apartment complex where the incident took place.

The teenager took the officer to the basement, where he found the victim lying on the ground next to the dumpster, screaming in pain and saying her leg was broken. Dunn said that the woman’s leg was badly twisted in the wrong direction.

Police said that the teenager took the trash to the chute, and when he put it in, his keys got stuck in the bag and went down the trash chute.

He then asked the woman for help in retrieving his keys. She agreed to do so for $20.

In the first attempt, the teen helped the woman’s feet and lowered her head through the trash while looking for the keys, but she did not find them.

The second attempt was also unsuccessful. The duo then came up with another plan. They tied a sheet to the woman so she can go deeper into the chute while he held the sheet.

However, the sheet tore and she fell into the trash chute.

The victim fell three stories and landed in a trash compactor in the basement. “At that time, the trash compactor activated and broke her leg,” Dunn said.

Salem police captain Conrad Prosniewski said the department was still investigating the incident, but so far, no charges have been filed.