5-week-old baby chokes to death after mother fell asleep on her during breastfeedingBy Mason White 3:17 PM May 20, 2016
|Baby with bottle (illustration)|
By: Mahesh Sarin
A young mother accidentally killed her newborn baby after falling asleep on her during feeding time, according to court documents in the United Kingdom.
The Gwent Coroner’s Court in Newport was told that Hayley Anne Wysocki, accidentally killed 5-week-old Poppy Rose Powell.
Wysocki told the court that her partner, Richard Powell, went out with his friend for a drink. When Powell and his friend returned home, she went to feed the girl and fell asleep on top of her.
The next thing she remembered was being awakened by hers son, who told her that she had overslept and he would be late for school.
He then showed his mother that there was blood coming out of the baby’s nose. The mother called for help, and rescue workers had to kick in the door to gain access to the home.
The girl was taken to the University Hospital of Wales, where she was pronounced dead. An autopsy showed that the baby died to a brain hemorrhage and obstructed airway.