(Scroll down for video) A man was arrested on a charge of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal after swallowing a goldfish alive in order to impress his friends, according to police in the United Kingdom.
Now, 21-year-old Alexander Mackey of Plymouth, has been banned from owning a pet for the next five years after admitting to swallowing the fish alive.
The Plymouth Crown Court has heard that one of Mackey’s friends won the fish won in a game at the Goose Fair in Tavistock, Devon.
Mackey, who was under the influence of alcohol, told his friend that he could swallow the fish alive. The friend gave the fish to him and he swallowed it.
A few days later, a video was posted on Facebook, showing Mackey swallowing the fish alive in front of his friends. The video was sent to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
The RSPCA then filed a complaint with the police. Mackey was banned from owning a pet for the next five years. He was also ordered to pay a fine of 752 pounds ($1,091).
A vet confirmed that the fish died in Mackey’s stomach due to lack of oxygen. Mackey expressed remorse, saying that he would not have swallowed the fish if he was sober.