Woman horrified after biting into blood-stained banana

Blood-stained banana 
By: Mahesh Sarin

A woman in Austria, freaked out after biting into a banana that was full of blood stains.

34-year-old Sanja M. of Vienna, said that she bought a bunch of bananas in the supermarket near her home.

The mother of several children decided to eat a banana after she got home. After taking several bites, she started screaming in horror as parts of the banana was completely red all the way through.

It looked like blood, the woman said. Sanja published photos of the red banana on social networks, where they went viral.

Some people suggested that the banana was tempered with in the store and the red stains were actual blood while others suggested it could be a chemical or a type of algae.

The woman returned the rest of the banana to the supermarket, and they launched an investigation. Experts believe that the banana was infected with rare fungus called Nigrospora.

When ingested, it could cause nausea and vomiting, but it is usually not harmful.