Latest News

Woman who hired man to kill her by shooting nails from nail gun into her head survives

By Mason White 8:45 AM June 17, 2016
Troy Vance Thompson 

By: Mahesh Sarin
A man was arrested after he agreed to help a woman commit suicide by shooting nails into her head.

However, the woman survived after nine nails were shot into her head.

Police in Oregon, arrested 46-year-old Troy Vance Thompson of Creswell, over the botched suicide attempt.

Police said that Thompson, fired nine nails that were three inches long into the head of the woman, before turning the nail gun on himself, but both survived.

Thompson told police that he met the 31-year-old woman the day before the incident. He said that the woman approached him and asked for help in committing suicide.

She told Thompson that she needed someone to kill her because she did not want to be committed to a mental hospital again.

The affidavit said that the two discussed ways to kill themselves before the woman told him about her plan to rent a nail gun and carry out the murder-suicide.

The store manager of the equipment rental store confirmed to police that the woman came to the business and rented a nail gun and an air compressor.

The store manager reportedly told investigators that the woman asked for the gun with the largest nails.

Thompson told police that after he fired three nails into the back of the woman’s head, he stopped, but she reminded him of his promise to help her die so he continued.

However, after shooting 9 nails, she was still alive so he turned the gun on himself. Passersby found the pair and they were taken to a hospital.

The woman’s mother said that her daughter has bipolar disorder and has been hospitalized several times over the last year.

The mother also said that her daughter had asked several family members, friends and strangers to help her die, according to the police report.

Thompson told police that he has “brain injuries from the past” as well as a history of substance abuse and suicidal thoughts.

The woman is in the hospital, where she is said to be in critical condition. Thompson was treated and released to police, and he is facing charges of assault.