Latest News

5-year-old boy sticks watch battery up his nose where it stayed for six months causing burns to his nostrils

By Mason White 3:16 AM July 14, 2016
Watch batteries (illustration) 

By: Feng Qian
A little boy in China, was taken to the hospital after a bad smell came out from his nose along with a strange liquid for six months.

Doctors at the Hangzhou Normal University Medical College, which is located in Hangzhou, removed a small battery from his nose.

5-year-old Xiao Bao, who is a super fan of Iron Man, decided to put the watch battery up his nose six months ago. The battery became lodged within the child’s nose, creating a constant nasal discharge.

The nasal discharge was so bad that the other children in his apartment complex labeled him a monster. The situation worsened when a bad smell began to emanate from the child’s nose.

Doctors removed the battery from his nose, but it had already corroded and burned his nostrils. The acid also damaged his bone and cartilage separating the nasal cavity in the two nostrils.

The medical team said that they will not be able to operate on the nasal cavity until the child reaches the age of 18, because it is too risky to perform surgery at this age.

Doctors expect the boy to continue to suffer from a stuffy nose, bleeding and some breathing problems.