Firefighters called to smoke filled home find man cooking his cat alive in ovenBy Mason White 2:33 PM July 14, 2016
By: Tanya Malhotra
(Scroll down for video) Fighters in New York, were shocked to find a horrific case of animal abuse.
Firefighters responded to a home at about 9:00 p.m., at a public housing apartment in Batavia, after a fire alarm in an apartment went off, police said.
Firefighters found the apartment filled with smoke. They searched for the source of the smoke and discovered a cat roasting in the oven.
Batavia police said that it was determined that the cat was alive when it was placed in the oven.
42-year-old Darren Annovi was arrested on a charge of aggravated cruelty to animals.
He is being held in the Genesee County Jail, pending a bail hearing.
Batavia City Police Detective Eric Hill said that Annovi does not have a history of animal abuse, and he did not give police a motive for the horrific act.