(Scroll down for video) Police in the Humane Society launched an investigation after 14 dogs died of heat stroke while they were left in a hot truck overnight, according to police in Indiana.
St. Joseph County police said that the incident unfolded as Cortney Corral-Morris of Lakesyde Kennels in Wellington, Ohio, was transporting the dogs in a truck to the AKC dog show at the county fairgrounds.
Corral-Morris parked her truck, which was equipped with air conditioning, outside a motel on Friday afternoon. She used an extension cord to connect the truck’s air condition to the power of the motel.
She fed the dogs and went into the motel to sleep for several hours. The dogs were found dead at about 6:20 p.m. According to the police investigation, an electric circuit breaker cut the power to the truck.
Corral-Morris, who owned several dogs herself, was devastated to see that her animals were dead. Temperatures in the area peaked at around 86 degrees.
Police said that no charges will be filed as it appears to be an accident.