Woman sues her neighbor for cooking with spicy food releasing fumes that burn her lungsBy Mason White 10:22 AM August 4, 2016
|Chili pepper (illustration)|
By: Chan Yuan
A woman is suing her neighbor for compensation because she suffered burning in her lungs when her neighbor was cooking spicy food, according to court documents in the United Kingdom.
Joanna Louise Cridlin of Wandsworth, told the court that the fumes from her neighbor’s hot chili peppers caused her to suffer.
The neighbor lives in the apartment above her unit. Cridlin wants the court to stop her neighbor from cooking spicy food as they constrict her airways and burned her lungs.
The woman claims that the spicy fumes remain in her apartment for up to eight hours. Cridlin said that she has lived in her apartment for more than 40 years, and the neighbor moved in recently.
The fumes of the peppers caused her to choke in her sleep on several occasions. On other occasions she had to stagger to the balcony after suffering from shortness of breath.
The woman is also suing Viridian Housing, the landlord of both her apartment and her neighbor’s unit, saying that no action was taken to stop the cooking of spicy food despite her repeated complaints.