Man is swallowed by a 10-foot-deep sinkhole after the ground opened up under his bedBy Mason White 5:09 PM September 6, 2016
By: Mahesh Sarin
(Scroll down for video) A man in China, is lucky to be alive after he was swallowed by a huge sinkhole.
The man, who was identified as Xi, was getting ready to eat his dinner while sitting on his bed when the ground suddenly opened up.
Xi of Xi’an, fell inside and screamed for help. His aunt, who also lives in the home, came to his aid. She brought a ladder and helped Xi climb out.
His uncle Mr. Du, who is the owner of the house, was called to the scene. He was surprised to see the large sinkhole. Du said that his nephew suffered non-life threatening injuries, but he still needed to be hospitalized.
Du said that he got a phone call about the incident at around 6:00 p.m. He called the water company to repair a water pipe that had been leaking and weakening the structure of the home, leading to the collapse.
Everyone from the five story building was evacuated for safety concerns.