Latest News

Boy loses his fingers after phone charger exploded in his hand

By Mason White 12:58 PM September 11, 2016
Zhuo Xiao 

By: Wayne Morin
A boy lost his fingers and suffered other injuries after a phone charger exploded in his hand.

The 12-year-old of Heilongjiang, China, lost three fingers and his thumb when he touched the phone charger, which was plugged into an outlet.

Zhuo Xiao said that he was trying to fix a television after the screen appeared fuzzy and unclear. He played around with the cord in an attempt to get the television to work properly.

However, when the boy touched the charger, which was plugged into the surge protector next to the plug of the television, it exploded.

The shattered pieces acted as knives and it cut off three of Xiao’s fingers and right thumb. He also suffered injuries to his legs, stomach, chest and face.

When his grandparents heard the explosion, they came to the boy’s aid.

He was taken to the Harbin Orthopaedic Hospital, where he immediately underwent surgery for the injuries. Even though doctors were able to reattach some of the fingers, they are not yet sure if the procedure was successful.