Latest News

4-year-old boy gets electrocuted by a faulty checkout counter at supermarket

By Mason White 2:07 AM September 27, 2016

By: Tanya Malhotra
A routine trip to a supermarket turned deadly for a young boy.

Police in Germany, said that the boy’s father watched in horror as his son was electrocuted by a faulty checkout counter in a supermarket.

The 4-year-old boy, who was identified only by his first name Jonathan, collapsed in front of shoppers and workers while helping his father put food on the conveyor belt.

His father said that Jonathan, helped him put the groceries on the conveyor belt for the cashier when he suddenly collapsed in front of his eyes.

Emergency workers who arrived at the Adese Market in Hamburg, tried to save the boy, but the child died.

The homicide division that carried out the investigation confirmed that the boy was electrocuted after he accidentally touched electrical wiring that was protruding from the checkout counter.

The wire came in contact with metal, causing the boy’s death.
Police are now investigating the case as manslaughter.

Walter Schaefers, who is a lawyer for the family, said that when they asked for surveillance videos of what happened, they were told that it disappeared from the supermarket.

However, a spokesperson for the local prosecutor’s office said that the surveillance videos were confiscated a few days after the incident.