Teen causes explosion in new car after spraying entire can of air freshener to mask cigarette odor

Car on fire (illustration) 
By: Mahesh Sarin

Police launched an investigation after a teen suffered burns from an explosion inside a new car, according to police in Germany.

Duisburg police said that the 17-year-old boy, who was not identified, smoked inside his parents’ new Volkswagen on Wednesday.

The boy opened the windows of the vehicle, but the cigarette odor persisted. The teen then decided to use air freshener to mask the smell.

He sprayed an entire can inside the vehicle. When he opened the door to leave the vehicle, the lights that are inside the car sparked an explosion.

Firefighters believe that the lights set the gas from the air freshener on fire. The teen was rushed to the hospital after suffering burns on his arms.

The explosion blew out the car’s glass windows.