Hospital patient suffers serious burns after igniting fire by farting during surgeryBy Mason White 6:37 PM November 1, 2016
|Surgery in hospital operating room (illustration)|
By: Tanya Malhotra
A hospital patient suffered serious burns during a surgical procedure after farting in close proximity to a laser, according to doctors in Japan.
The incident unfolded at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital, as doctors used a laser on the cervix of a 30-year-old woman.
There was no flammable material in the operating room during the surgical procedure. A doctor at the scene said that the woman farted, and the gas caused the radiation of the laser to ignite.
The fire quickly spread to the surgical drape, and the patient suffered burns on most of her body, including her waist and legs.
The woman survived, but is still getting treatment for her burns.