Latest News

Popular Manhattan restaurant ordered to pay $1 million fine after lawyer swallowed wire while eating chicken

By Mason White 7:03 PM November 15, 2016
Metal wire (illustration) 

By: Feng Qian
A lawyer filed a lawsuit against a popular restaurant in New York City, after swallowing a piece of wire while eating chicken, according to court documents.

Now, the court has ordered Bistro Moderne of Manhattan, to pay a $1 million fine after being found liable for the incident that almost caused the death of attorney Barry Brett.

Brett claimed that he spent $30 for chicken at the restaurant owned by television chef Daniel Boulud. While eating the chicken, Brett swallowed a piece of metal wire that came from a cheap brush.

The wire caused a severe infection to his esophagus. Luckily, Brett recovered. Boulud was ordered to give Brett $300,000 in compensation for his pain and suffering.

In addition to the compensation, Boulud was ordered to pay a $1 million fine. Boulud vowed to appeal the verdict.