Latest News

Caterer shut down after serving poisoned chicken and green beans at wedding causing 99 guests to get sick

By Mason White 4:19 PM November 23, 2016
Desiree and Martez Cole 

By: Chan Yuan
(Scroll down for video) The health department of Alabama, has shut down a catering business after nearly 100 guests at wedding became sick as a result of food poisoning.

The Alabama Department of Public Health has determined that the Salmonella outbreak last week in Colbert County that reportedly sickened at least 99 wedding guests and hospitalized 22, is most likely linked to the meal they were served.

Eighteen of the hospitalized guests have been discharged from the hospitals, and those remaining are recovering.

Approximately 150 guests attended the wedding.

Preliminary reports indicate the state health department laboratory has identified Salmonella in food specimens of cooked chicken as well as green beans.

Dr. Karen Landers, Assistant State Health Officer, Bureau of Communicable Disease, stated that chicken was likely the primary source of the germ as raw chicken can be contaminated with Salmonella.

Chicken has to be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit to kill the germ.

Finding Salmonella in the green beans during this investigation was probably from cross contamination such as using the same serving utensils for the beans and the chicken.

Dr. Scott Harris, Assistant State Health Officer for Public Health Area 2, where the catering business was located, stated that he issued an emergency order to suspend the caterer’s permit
last week, pending further investigation.

The caterer, Indelible Catering of Moulton, is no longer preparing food for the public.

Newlyweds Desiree and Martez Cole said that they managed to enjoy their honeymoon in Puerto Rico after the wedding, but they were concerned about their sick family and friends.