|Rice balls (illustration)|
(Scroll down for video) A man choked to death while trying to win a speed eating competition, police in Japan said.
Shiga police said that the 28-year-old man, who was not identified, had been trying to swallow five rice balls during the speed eating competition on Sunday.
Unfortunately, he began to choke, and was rushed to the hospital. He died three days later.
According to the police investigation, the contestants were trying to eat five onigiri balls as quickly as possible when the 28-year-old man began choking.
After stuffing the fifth rice ball into his mouth, the contestant passed out. The competition was sponsored by JA Higashibiwako.
A spokesperson for JA Higashibiwako, apologized to the family and said that the company will probably not hold speed eating competitions in the future.