Woman claims cat got stuck in dish drawer after husband opened it


The cat comforted after being rescued from dishwasher 
By: Wayne Morin

A cat is lucky to be alive after firefighters rescued it from a dish drawer in New Zealand.

The incident unfolded on Sunday, at the Kitten Inn located in Nelson.

“Hubby opened the dish drawer, and one of the kittens got up underneath and managed to get its head jammed in between the inner plastic of the drawer and the metal of the outside.

“The cat couldn't move forward or back without seemingly getting crushed or strangled. If I can paint the picture, the kitten was screaming, other kittens were crying in response, I was on the floor desperately trying to work out what happened and how best to assist.

“We were desperately looking for ways to dismantle the drawer or even break it to get the cat out. Meanwhile, I had one hand under the kitten and another pushing the drawer to give it as much breathing room as possible.

“The cat then started purring, and I knew this meant it is going into shock. I demanded the phone and called 111. 3 lovely firemen came around. They got on their knees, and did some magical thing and out the cat popped.

“The cat was a little dazed but otherwise unhurt. As it turned out, one of the firemen was in the market for 2 kittens, and had not heard of Kitten Inn so I filled him in and gave him the email. Lessons, beware of kittens near drawers and firemen are awesome,” the owner of the Kitten Inn wrote in Facebook.