Latest News

Man suffers injuries and burns down house after using nail polish remover while smoking and operating hair dryer

By Mason White 4:25 PM November 27, 2016
Home on fire (illustration) 

By: Tanya Malhotra
A man was rushed to a hospital after suffering serious burns while using nail polish remover and smoking a cigarette, according to police in the United Kingdom.

Longton police said that the fire was sparked in an elderly man’s home while a resident used nail polish remover to clean an item.

The house suffered serious damage, but the elderly man was not injured.

The man who sparked the fire while smoking a cigarette and using a hair dryer, was taken to a hospital to be treated for serious burns to his hands and face.

The incident unfolded on Tuesday around 9:30 p.m. The fire quickly spread and firefighting crews from nearby towns were called in to help extinguish the blaze.

The street has been shut down to traffic for several hours.

Investigators determined that the fire was accidental.