Company sells drinks containing human urine as 4 percent of people admit to drinking their own waste
(Scroll down for video) Urophagia, also known as urine therapy, is a relatively rare practice in the United Kingdom, but a surprising poll recently revealed that 3.8% of those surveyed drink urine regularly in order to benefit their health.
The results came from a “Bathroom Habits” survey sent to 28,000 Plumbworld customers, with 4,287 responding.
Although it may be something that is laughed and joked about, the results show that there are many people out there drinking urine regularly.
Many may dismiss it as just a fad, but Urophagia has been used since ancient times and attracts the interest of millions of people worldwide.
In India and China, the practice is used to help treat numerous medical conditions, including Asthma and constipation. In the world of sports and arts, many famous figures have publicly admitted to drinking urine.
Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez, British actress Sarah Miles, Author J.D. Salinger, and former Prime Minister Morarji Desai, are just a few of the famous names that have admitted to regularly drinking urine.
Although the health benefits are unproven, many believe in its power. However, a number of health professionals have advised against the practice.
Urine may be 95% water, but the other 5% is made up of excess minerals like sodium, potassium and chloride. The fact that the body is expelling these minerals, shows that it has received more than it needs.
However, drinking small portions as part of a healthy lifestyle is unlikely to do any serious harm to your body over the long-term.
Many will be feeling amused or aghast at the thought of drinking their own urine, but a small minority will feel intrigued.
Plumbworld has created a variety of cocktail recipes to help mask the bad taste. One example of a cocktail created by Plumbworld, has been cleverly titled “Pee’na Gryllada.”
This classic sweet Puerto Rican cocktail can still be enjoyed without the rum thanks to its refreshing coconut and pineapple blend.
Plumbworld has dedicated this cocktail to Bear Grylls after watching him consume his own urine on TV.