Latest News

Tortoise burns down house by knocking over heat lamp

By Mason White 6:45 PM January 12, 2017
Tortoise (illustration)
By: Mahesh Sarin

(Scroll down for video) A tortoise that was crawling slowly on a neighbor’s porch, caused a fire that resulted in thousands of dollars in damages, according to firefighters in Texas.

The San Antonio Fire Department said that they were called to the scene of a fire, which was caused by a neighbor’s pet tortoise.

The incident unfolded around 12:00 a.m. on Tuesday, on the 9700 block of Village Gate. According to the investigation, the tortoise that weighs 150 pounds, tipped over a heater and started a fire that spread to the house next door.

The fire quickly consumed the walls and attic of the neighbor’s house. By the time the firefighters could extinguish the fire, it caused $150,000 damage to the neighbor’s house.

The pet owner’s house suffered minimal damage. No one was injured.