Dog food contaminated with sedative causes death and injuries


Hunk of Beef can (illustration)
By: William Martin  WorldWideWeirdNews.com

(Scroll down for video) A company that sells dog food has issued a recall after a dangerous sedative was found in their products and several dogs became ill and one died, according to the FDA (Food and Drug Administration).

Out of an abundance of caution, Evanger’s Dog & Cat Food of Wheeling, Illinois, is voluntarily recalling specific lots of its Hunk of Beef products because of a potential contaminant Pentobarbital, which was detected in one lot of Hunk of Beef Au Jus.

Pentobarbital can affect animals that ingest it, and possibly cause side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, excitement, loss of balance, nausea, or in extreme cases, possibly death.

The specifically-identified lot numbers of cans of 12-oz Hunk of Beef being voluntarily recalled were distributed to retail locations and sold online in Washington, California, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, Maryland, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.

They were manufactured the week of June 6 – June 13, 2016.

Although Pentobarbital was detected in a single lot, Evangers is voluntarily recalling Hunk of Beef products that were manufactured the same week, with lot numbers that start with 1816E03HB, 1816E04HB, 1816E06HB, 1816E07HB, and 1816E13HB, and have an expiration date of June 2020.

The second half of the barcode reads 20109, which can be found on the back of the product label.

The subject recall affects 5 lots of food that were produced from its supplier’s lot of beef, which is specifically used for the Hunk of Beef product and no other products.

To date, it has been reported that five dogs became ill and 1 of the five dogs passed away after consuming the product with lot number 1816E06HB13.

Evanger’s is proactively issuing a recall voluntarily so as not to risk potential exposure to Pentobarbital in the product. This is the first recall for Evanger’s in its 82 years of manufacturing.

Although it has been verified that little or no product remains on store shelves, if consumers still have cans with the aforementioned lot numbers, he or she should return it to the place of purchase for a full refund.