Giraffe chokes to death at zoo after getting entangled in one of its toys


Jamili
Jamili
By: Tanya Clark  WorldWideWeirdNews.com

Workers at a zoo in North Carolina, are sad after arriving one morning to find a dead giraffe entangles in one of its toys.

On Tuesday morning, keepers at the North Carolina Zoo’s giraffe habitat found Jamili, a 9-year-old female giraffe, unresponsive in her behind-the-scenes living quarters.

Jamili died after accidentally getting entangled in a mental and physical engagement item used with the giraffe herd. This enrichment item, and others like it, had been used for many years with the giraffe herd without incident.

“The North Carolina Zoo takes special pride in the care we provide to our animals, and the expansive natural habitat and other services that enrich their lives.

“We are reviewing all of our animal safety policies and procedures — including the enrichment items that the animals use in their behind-the-scenes living quarters — to ensure the safety of all our animals,” the zoo said in a statement.

Jamili, a reticulated giraffe, was born at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Jamili came to the North Carolina Zoo 8 years ago.

Keepers were immediately taken by Jamili's easy-going personality. Jamili gave birth to one female calf, Juma, 5 years ago.

Juma is now at the Maryland Zoo, and last month had a female calf of its own.

The North Carolina Zoo, which is located in the center of the state in Asheboro, is convenient to visit from anywhere in North Carolina.

The North Carolina Zoo welcomes nearly 800,000 guests each year.


Loading...

Loading...
Loading...