Latest News

Chef dies after eating poisonous frogs with friends at restaurant

By Mason White 5:56 PM April 27, 2017
Frog (illustration)
Frog (illustration)
By: Tanya Clark

A chef who caught several frogs, died after eating them along with his friends at a restaurant, according to police in South Korea.

Daejeon police have launched an investigation after the 57-year-old man died as a result of poisoning.

According to the police investigation, the victim and several of his friends caught five frogs, which they believed were edible.

However, unbeknown to them, the frogs were venomous. They took the frogs to the restaurant, where the 57-year-old chef prepared them as a meal.

While the groups of friends were eating the five frogs, they began feeling ill. The 57-year-old chef began vomiting violently and he was taken to a hospital.

Sadly, he did not survive. His friends were treated the hospital and were released. Police sent the leftovers of the meal for testing, and bufotenine was detected.

Venomous frogs secrete bufotenine when they sense danger.