Latest News

Obese corpse sets funeral home on fire during cremation

By Mason White 3:36 PM May 8, 2017
Fire in oven (illustration)
Fire in oven (illustration)
By: Emily Lewis

(Scroll down for video) Firefighters were called to a funeral home after it caught on fire while an “overly obese” corpse was being cremated.

Don Catchen, who is the owner of the Hillside Chapel Crematory in Ohio, said that he was alerted to the fire and he immediately called for help.

Catchen explained that his employee was in the process of cremating the “overly obese” deceased person when the fat of the body caused things to get a little hotter than the unit is supposed to get.

A cremation container that was nearby caught on fire. The fire also spread to the roof and caused about $30,000 of damage to the property.

Cincinnati Fire Chief Michael Washington said that there were some combustible storage boxes too close to the ovens.

It took firefighters two hours to get the blaze under control.