10-year-old girl undergoes surgery after accidentally swallowing fidget spinner part while cleaning it


Kelly Rose Joniec, her daughter and the X-ray
Kelly Rose Joniec, her daughter and the X-ray
By: Tanya Clark   WorldWideWeirdNews.com

The fidget spinner toy became a must have item for every child, but the removable parts can be harmful to kids.

One 10-year-old girl of Texas, learned first hand just how dangerous the toy can be.

In a Facebook post, Kelly Rose Joniec recounted how her daughter Britton, was almost killed after swallowing a part of the fidget spinner.

“On the way home from a fun swim meet, I heard Britton making an odd noise in the back seat. Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth. I immediately pulled over. She pointed to her throat so I attempted Heimlich, but there was no resistance.

“She said she had put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it.”

Texas Children's Hospital took X-rays, which showed the spinner part lodged in her esophagus. Britton was taken to surgery to remove the object.

Joniec is now warning parents about the dangers of the fidget spinners.

“Not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings. The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8-years-old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard,” she wrote.